Thursday, August 17, 2006

Meetings, cable TV, and staying up

I attend a lot of meetings. At these meetings, things are discussed. However, the foreign dialect of acronyms is often so thick that I have only the vaguest idea of what's actually going on. When the discussions are less technical, I understand a lot more; Tuesday had two largely comprehensible meetings. The first had scientists discussing the projects they planned to try out if they received discretionary funds, and the second involved someone wanting some of our department's money--which we didn't have much of anyway, so they were out of luck.

My cable tv was connected Wednesday. I've got digital cable, so I feel good about that, but I won't be able to get NFL Sunday Ticket. Quite unfortunate, really. However, I can start watching Smallville and The Office again.

Tuesday, I went to a baseball game. Yes, I have some animosity towards Major League Baseball, but Roger Clemens was pitching, and I got a free ticket. It turned out to be an 18-inning game. Yeah. I was tired.

2 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, August 21, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

I remember struggling with the alphabet soup people used to throw around during my internship in D.C. I started writing them down and asking my supervisor at the end of each week. He found it extremely entertaining.

 
At 4:52 PM, August 30, 2006, Blogger Nectar said...

I know what you mean. I work for DoD.

Sometimes what people don't know about your specialized language can get you into trouble. Once I was trying to find a commercial source of infrared radiation for a test instrument I was designing. Devices that produce a broad spectrum of radiation from a heat source are called "blackbodies."

When calling Space Optics Research (SOR) I asked the person who answered the phone if her company sold blackbodies. There was a pause, and in a heavy Southern accent she told me that she was going to have her supervisor talk to me. I soon realized that there had been a misunderstanding.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home